Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

Haylee’s Room Make-over

So, I got super motivated today and decided to (finally) re-do Haylee’s room.  Unfortunately, I didn’t take before pictures.  Darn!  Oh well.  It was a very big mis-matched mess.   I realize there’s still a long way to go on the room (starting with paint!!), but for now, this will do very nicely.  I’m really happy with it.  I picked out her new bedspread (and Santa brought it.)  Her baby bedding was very sweet and ‘pretty’ (and I loved it) so I was ready for something new, fresh, still totally girly, but also a little funky, cute, bright, and fun.  I fell IN LOVE with this bedding set from Target.  (I also LOVED this set from Pottery Barn, but that was WAAY out of my price-range.  And, looking at it again, and now that her room is done, I think I might even like this more!  Yay!  I love the bright!)  I am sooo much loving the owls, birds, and cute trees lately.  Love, love, love the bedding set.  (More than she does… heh.)
Anyway… we had so much fun today and when I asked Haylee tonight what she liked about today, she said ‘cleaning my room and making it pretty’ or something to that effect.  So sweet!
Most everything we used I either made, was either given to me, or I already had.  I found the awesome polka dot box at a garage sale.  Score!  I’ll tell you more as I go.
The curtains and butterfly shelf were given to me from my good friend Tammy.  I was so excited they matched so well!  I tied the curtains with some fabric I had left over from making this ribbon board.
IMG_9803 IMG_9804
I made the pink owl pillow on top – I was in Joanne’s one day and walked by this totally adorable, totally PERFECT fleece… and I couldn’t pass it up.  I bought enough to make a blanket and matching pillow.  I made the pillow by sewing two pieces back to back, stuffing and then trimming the edges, kinda like fringe.  Maybe I’ll post a better picture sometime.  I’m just a very beginning sewer, so I was pretty proud of myself.  Especially w/o a pattern!  This is also a great view of the bedspread.  So cute!  Again love the owls and trees.  Okay, and I know there are way too many pillows for a three year old’s bed.  But I couldn’t decide… one was made for her by her Great-grandma (that one’s staying for sure), one, I made, some are from her baby bedding set, but I think they still kinda match & some I got from my friend Rebecca, and they were originally what I wanted to base her new bedroom bedding off of, which is why I bought them… but now I didn’t really go with those tones, but I’m having a hard time just not using them… Help!
 IMG_9805 
Half of the knobs were missing from this dresser when I started.  I actually got/found my husband’s drill and did it all myself!  I had to change some of the screws… the old ones were too short for the flower knobs.  I plan to paint pink and green the other knobs.  I didn’t have enough of the flower ones.  I’m also not done with the top… Not really sure what to do here either.  The awesome dresser is part of a bunk-bed set that I had when I was a kid – bed on top, desk underneath, dresser on the side.  The ‘HAYLEE’ letters were a gift from my SIL.
IMG_9846 
This is the other side of the room that I don’t really know what to do with.  Any suggestions??  I really want to paint a giant tree on the wall, in the same style as the bedspread ones.  I’m thinking maybe here?  Or maybe over the bed?
IMG_9847 IMG_9848
The little side table is my first real DIY project.  I got it FREE when we were living in Cleveland, OH while my husband was in dental school and the way people get rid of their stuff is by putting it out on the side of the road.  Being starving students, I snagged it up.  I almost gave the little thing away when we moved into this house (6 months ago), but then I thought about spray paint, and although I had never tried it, I thought I’d give it a shot.  I actually do have a before picture of it…. but I can’t find it.  Anyway, I just (finally) added the ribbon onto it today and I LOVE it!!  I also had an epiphany… I had been needing another place to put her books, since they were exploding out of that little bookcase, and I was just a little bit earlier thinking that I needed to get her another little bookcase or something, and a little later, I saw that I thought, what a perfect place to put the rest of the books!  I want to get some pink or orange vinyl and cut a bird and branch out on my cricut to put on the drawer.  And it’s not a perfect paint job… now I realized I should have rolled it, rather than sprayed it.  I’ll probably re-do it again some day.  Overall I love how it turned out though.
IMG_9855
IMG_9851
The rug is actually from her baby bedding set.  And I found the valance from that set too and put it up as well.  Do you think it matches well enough?  I did, but I’d be interested to know what you thought.
IMG_9855
The painting is a copy of ‘Pinkie’ from the Huntington Library Museum, which my Mom and I saw on one of our road trips.  It doesn’t really match her room, besides the colors…  It’s not of the funky, mod style I’m going for.  Do you think it’s okay anyway?
IMG_9856 We (finally) brought up the adorable pink chair Haylee got from her Nana and Poppie for Christmas.  Isn’t it perfect there in that corner by the bookcase?  I do want something else there though… we put a little reading picture up there, and I eventually want to put a chair rail up and paint. IMG_9858IMG_9859
Some VERY happy kids!  Lovin’ her new room!  (Plus, I FINALLY let them jump on the bed after about 20 minutes of telling them to wait while I took pictures.  heh.)
IMG_9814 IMG_9860 IMG_9861 IMG_9864
It was a fun project and fun day, and sooo good to FINALLY get it done.  I’ve been wanting to do that for quite awhile.  Since we moved in really!  I still have some shelves to put up, painting to do, and lots lots more do do, but I think its great for now.
Thanks for looking!

Linked here

8 comments:

  1. What a cute room and adorable kiddos! Glad to know my kids aren't the only ones who jump on their beds! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cute, I love the owl theme, your girls look very happy. You mentioned painting a tree on the wall? Maybe you could just paint the entire room one of those cheery shades of green. Good luck! (I just completed a PB Teen knockoff bedroom. That's what I linked to The Insp. Rm!) Visit it if you get the chance - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal this is awesome!!! I LOVE the reading corner. She looks so sweet there reading. The tree mural is a good idea- that would be so cute! I don't really want to answer the "how to these look here" till I can see it in person. You've done such a great job! I'm hiring you to do my apartment, k? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks adorable. You are so very talented. I gave her the pillows that matched her baby set, how fun to see them incorporated. Perhaps if you put ribbon around the 'pinky' picture frame, it would 'fun' it up a bit?

    I'm with J, the reading corner is fantastic.

    "Richer than I you can never be -- I had a mother who read to me. . . "

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crystal, I know this is a little late, but those arrangements are adorable! I love the colors. I sure sparks up the girl's personality. I remember decorating my room when I was with African theme. Zebras leopard and all that. I have some experience with painting trees on the wall if you'd like. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a darling little girl! I love the shelf, so unusual, and the bedding. The owl is sooo cute! The pink chair is just perfect and she seems to love it. Lezlee

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails